27 January 2008

Why oh why would I want to be anywhere else?


We’ve been toying with the idea of moving to Canada for a while now, but after Bruce came back from Jordan and the sun re-emerged for two days in a row, things became a little less clear.

Lily Allen got one thing right, at least, in the ready-made lyrics of her twee discography, which is that a nice day in London beats the hell of out a nice day anywhere else in the world (I’m paraphrasing here, obviously). I’ve since realised also that I can be ecstatically happy anywhere, as long as I’m with Bruce (my apologies to your gag reflexes).

Yesterday we woke up early and had breakfast at our local café before heading down to Neil’s Yard for haircuts. Hair by Fairies is a low-budget, high-quality miracle, as even in a wee city of little consequence, where there’s nobody to impress except your boyfriend and the baby hipsters selling ice cream, you could expect to pay at least $40 for one of their cuts. But you only have to pay £12, and they’re always spot on.

I won’t describe the cuts except to say that we both left with far less hair than what we went in with, which brought about a welcome change for us both.

After a film (The Savages), an early dinner (Adams Rib) and a bit of window shopping in the fresh, sleepy air, we were ready to scrap the whole idea of moving. And then we found ourselves crammed between a crying baby and a golden retriever on the 453 (“Hi, my name’s Meltdown Touchy Breaks, I’ll be your driver for today”) and were unsure again.

One thing we did decide is that no matter what happens this year, we are going to continue on as usual and not postpone any major decisions on the off-chance we end up going. There’s no reason not to find a two-bedroom flat with a garden in a nicer part of town come spring, for instance, and continue to work and save, while taking holidays and doing whatever it is that newlyweds set out to accomplish these days.

We’re in no big rush, and as these are the best years of our lives, I’m more inclined to slow down and start enjoying the days for what they are now. And I think I’d really miss Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Noooooooooooooooo, please move back.